01 02 03 * I Think Sew *: Removing Papers 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Removing Papers

34
I'm going to show you yet another step in the hexie quilt process: Removing the paper pieces!  Some people remove the inner papers as they go on a project like this, but I prefer to leave them all in until I'm finished with the quilt.

I work in rows so I don't lose my place. You'll notice I have a large seam allowance on the back so that the papers are totally covered. I like it like this. When I quilt it, all that extra fabric will boost puffiness and texture.
I start by using a seam ripper to snip the basting thread near the beginning knot

Then I use a wooden skewer or toothpick to pick out the basting thread

Then I use the skewer to stick in and through the hole I punched in the paper and... 

POP - out comes the paper!

I made a little video to show a little more of the process that can be found here.

It's a pretty quick process, I just started today, and have about 1/4 of the papers out already! Starting a thread collection too:


Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38