01 02 03 * I Think Sew *: Testing Options 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Testing Options

34
My progress on the Jellyfish quilt has stopped as I start to weigh options for how to quilt it. I was considering hand-quilting it, which would make the whole quilt hand-done, and that sounded great... at first.

I needed to test my hand-quilting skills, and on a flat piece of fabric, I did okay:

You can see the two rows of running stitches I quilted in the test above... this wasn't too bad, but I wasn't sure how it would work with the hexies since there are more fabric layers to go through. That meant I had to do a test on actual hexies.  So I stitched a few of my extras together and tried hand quilting AND thread basting on this little piece.
After trying 4-5 needles, and 3 different threads, I've decided that I'm NOT going to hand quilt it. It's really hard on my fingers, and the end result is not that great.

I will, however, thread-baste this quilt. I saw a good tutorial on it here that I'm going to use. You can see the basting stitches I tested at the top of the test piece.  Since it's a smaller quilt, this option should work great. Then I'll quilt it free-motion-style on my Singer.

In other news, I finally signed onto Instagram. It may not be a huge deal, but I'm really excited that I can finally see all the photos that my quilty friends post there! I'm using a reader as my device, and it has a terrible camera on it, so my uploads will be few for now, but if you'd like to follow me there, here's a link: http://instagram.com/gweiss23


35 36 37 38