01 02 03 * I Think Sew *: Piecing A Quilt Back 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Piecing A Quilt Back

34
Sometimes I think there is something wrong with me... I can't seem to just use a large piece of fabric for my quilt backs.  Why?  Because I always have left-over scraps from the front, that I just don't want to use for something else - I'm usually 'done' with certain fabrics after using them in a quilt.

bits for Green Cross Quilt Back
Of course, using scraps to piece a back ALWAYS takes me longer than making the front! It becomes an improv piece as I never know exactly how these pieces will take shape.

I feel very gratified for using up all my scraps - if something is too small for the back I cut it into 1.5" squares for my hexies... and even smaller pieces are now saved for pet beds.

piecing the back - on the design wall
The best part is ending up with a two-sided quilt! One side planned, the other improv - using the same fabrics. To me, it's really neat to see the same fabrics used so differently. Unfortunately, I won't have the Green Cross Quilt finished for the PMQG meeting tomorrow... but I will be bringing the Jellyfish!
Jellyfish Hexie Quilt Close-up
I love sharing my quilts with my guild - everyone is so supportive, even after seeing pictures and hearing about it all the time since last year! I was just telling a friend recently how I never used to finish anything. Finishing a big project like this is so fulfilling to me - and says a lot about how far I've come in my life. I'm so happy to share it with such amazingly creative people!

Labels:

35 36 37 38