01 02 03 * I Think Sew *: A Screen Printed Quilt FINISH! 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

A Screen Printed Quilt FINISH!

34
Finished Front
YAY! I have finished the screen printed quilt! I'm considering calling it "Orbital Spotting" but I'm open to suggestions. *wink wink*

Super happy with this one! I made the blocks based on "Anita's Arrowheads" technique by Anita Grossman. You cut all your pieces for one block with just a few rotary cuts. It's a really fun technique - try it out sometime, it makes for nice clean looking blocks with pretty accurate points.

The top sat while I worked on the back. The back actually took way longer to make than the front, but I did use up all my scraps from the front! I even used an older creamy/brown calico-ish type of print to punch up the more modern fabrics. I kind of like the back better than the front... but that's just me.
Finished Back

I worked with my husband on this quilt as a collaboration. He is a screen printer, and he did the decision making as to what to print and where. He used discharge ink which releases the dye of the fabric rather than laying a layer of ink over the fabric. This means that after it's washed, the printed area is just as soft as the rest of the fabric - and you can iron over it!

Here are some screen printing process pics:
"big ring" film. The black of the film is opaque and can block light.
Mixing discharge ink - 3 part chemical process that needs specific measurements

Screens are made by using light-sensitive emulsion, opaqued film, and a light source
'pulling ink' over the stencil or hole in the screen and onto the quilt top
Printing over seams can get messy, and there are a few spots in the printing that are not perfect, but all in all, it came out beautifully! It sat for another long bit while I was saving up for my new Juki 2010Q. Now it's the first quilt I've quilted on my new machine!

It worked so well! I used a walking foot for some parts, then switched to free-motion-quilting for all the fills. I 'eyeballed' all the lines - I don't like taking time to mark up the quilt, and I don't really care about perfection. As long as it is sewn well and will hold up in the wash, I'm good.

After it was all quilted I had a big decision to make as to what to used for binding... but I found this darker grey Peppered Cotton that I think works so well. It ties all the other colors together - so fun! Now that it's finished, I can bring it to show and tell at PMQG tonight! Hope to see you there!

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38